Master of science
As.Prof. Ekaterina Zhigulina
The purpose of the educational program "Sustainable Thermal and Energy Systems” is to prepare qualified specialists with professional knowledge, skills and abilities to solve the following tasks in the field of industrial heat and power systems and social sphere:
- to develop and maintain modern power engineering and heat installations;
- to develop and implement promising heat-and-power systems and appropriate equipment for them;
- to ensure rational use of fuel and energy resources at industrial enterprises and utilities;
- to conduct a feasibility study with justification of the priority directions for solutions of resources saving problems with a combination of centralized and autonomous power supply including the renewable energy sources usage;
- to create advanced life support systems at enterprises and housing;
- to develop mathematical models of studied objects for analysing their efficiency via modern computer programs;
- to ensure the environment protection.
The Master of Science degree program integrates the technology side of energy systems development with the financial planning needed to effectively implement them. The goal of the educational program is to create a high-level signature, interdisciplinary graduate program for the engineer or technical business major, who is pursuing an industrial or public planning based career.
The curriculum is flexibly designed with a set of a number of core courses in engineering knowledge and finance, including "Energy Efficiency Increasing Methods", "Impact Pathways Analysis", "World Energy Development Prospects", "Business Planning in Power Engineering" and etc. Through this curriculum and interaction with practitioners, our students are prepared to effectively integrate energy system development over a broad spectrum of technologies with specific financial requirements to successfully implement them and compete in the global energy market.
The program curriculum is firmly rooted in energy technology and includes exposure to the interface with business and financial decision processes. Practicing professionals with experience at this interface who have successfully implemented energy systems or devices and policies are actively involved in the program as faculty and invited speakers.
Graduates of the program will be involved in the decision making or policy planning that will deliver sustainable, energy efficient systems to the global market. They will have the basic training necessary to lead efforts within companies to plan and implement new energy generation investments, realize energy efficiency improvements specifically at the system level, and participate in energy and environmental markets such as, heat and power purchase agreements, energy management monitoring and cap-and-trade systems.